Summer means lots of travel, we all know that. But traveling can sometimes be a pain especially if mobility is limited. Here are a few tips for traveling with seniors:
1. Make sure a doctor has approved it. If there are major health risks then don’t go. Make sure all activities planned will be enjoyable for the senior.
2. Keep in mind their limited mobility and be ready with back ups. Don’t be afraid to scale back a vacation.
3. When traveling with a loved one with dementia keep a routine daily for them. Don’t change things up too drastic from a home schedule. Recognize signs of distress early to keep them happy.
4. Look for senior discounts! There could be a perk because Grandma and Grandpa are coming with you.
5. Try to schedule non-stop flights to and from your destination. This eliminates a lot of walking and changing that could cause discomfort or stress for an individual.
Good luck this summer and hope your vacations turn out great for all involved!